Life in Fukuoka "English" Vo.102

2022.03.14[Mon] 09:00

Rules & Manners(ルール・マナー) , Housing(住宅)

【Spring Allergies】

As the season begins to warm up, sugi or Japanese red-cedar pollen becomes a worry for a good number of us. Pollen is tiny and it floats on the air, getting absolutely every where. So what to do? Even if you vacuum or sweep in an attempt at keeping things clean, pollen just gets caught up in the air produced, flying around even more. So, in the house, if you're trying to clean the floor, one thing to do is to use a dust cloth or one of those swiffer type dry sheets to wipe the floor to keep the pollen from flying up. If you wipe the floor regularly and get an air purifier for the house, you'll find that you'll start winning your fight against not only pollen but dust and other bits.

If you're out for a walk, know that pollen will get all over your clothes. So when you get home, take off your coat in the entryway and lightly knock the pollen off of your clothes so that it doesn't get all over the house.

I don't have bad allergies, but I do feel a bit stuffed up as the season comes. I rely heavily on my robot vacuum and wipes to keep things cleaned up, good luck with your battle against pollen this year!



【Get things done earlier when moving house】

I've got some information from Fukuoka City to share with you.

 March and April are busy months for moving house and as a result, the consultation desks at your local ward offices may be quite crowded. So, try to get any paperwork and other things for moving done sooner, rather than later.

If you find that you're too busy on weekdays to submit the notification of your move to the ward office then you'll be glad to know that there are several weekend days when the offices are open for paperwork related to moving in or out of the city.

On Sunday the 27th of March and Sunday the 3rd of April, Fukuoka City ward offices and their branches will be temporarily opened from 10am to 2pm to take paperwork in regards to moving in or out of the city.


If you are moving into Fukuoka City from another city, you need to submit the notification of your move to the ward office by the day that you move in. You also need to have the notification of the move out your previous residence with you as proof of a move.

If you are moving from one place to another inside the city you do not need the notification of the move out of your previous residence, you just need to submit notification that you have moved into your new residence within 14 day of moving.


There is now an online service available to make reservations with the ward office to take care of moving procedures. Reservations can be made even with a smartphone but must be made 5 business days before your desired date. You just need to send the date you want to go in, and information about your address change. With this system, the process at the consultation desk will take less time.


One more process that you should remember when moving is making sure you call to have your water turned on or turned off. You will need to have the notification of your move for this. Please call at least 4 days before you move to arrange this. The phone number for that is 092-532-1010. Again, that number is 092-532-1010



【Garbage from moving house】

Also with Spring and the moving season, this time tends to be when we see a lot more oversized garbage and so I've got some information on how to use the Oversized Garbage Disposal Call Center.

The first way to do it is by applying for pickup with the Oversized Garbage Disposal Call Center. First, contact them by phone or by internet, or even through the Official Fukuoka City Line Account, to put in your application and then purchase the appropriate oversized garbage disposal ticket at the convenience store or other shops.

The garbage pickup day will be roughly one week after you apply.

You must put out the garbage by 8:30am on the collection day in the designated spot.

The phone number for the Oversized Garbage Disposal Call Center is 092-731-1153.

Again, that number is 092-731-1153.

If you apply via the internet or Line, you can do so at your convenience, 24 hours a day.


For TV's, refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, clothes dryers and air conditioners, according to the home appliance recycling law, there are specific guidelines for disposal.

You can have the old appliance removed by the firm installing the new one or you can contact the store where you originally bought the appliance. You can also contact the Best Denki or Yamada Denki in your city about disposal. Recycling fees as well as fees for collection and transport will be required.


  • Colleen
  • Colleen
  • 誕生日:11月11日
    出身地:USA Detroit, MI
    興味のある事:I'm studying patisserie and languages