Life in Fukuoka "English" Vo.99

2022.02.21[Mon] 09:00

Rules & Manners(ルール・マナー)

【Shiro-uo Fish】

In Fukuoka, one of the things that says that spring is definitely on its way is fishing for Shiro-uo fish, or Ice Goby in English. This little fish has a transparent body that only gets to about 4 or 5 centimeters long and as its name suggests, is part of the Goby family.  They usually live in shallow waters along the coast and at the beginning of spring, moves up the river for spawning, it lays eggs under the sand.

Now, in Fukuoka Prefecture, the Muromi-gawa River is the only place where ice goby fishing still happens. This seasonal tradition will go until about mid-April. There are restaurants in the area where you can eat ice goby in a variety of dishes such as in clear soups, as tempura or in scrambled eggs, however, among those ways to enjoy the fish is a rather unusual one called Odori Gui or Dance-eating, which is the feeling of eating live sea creatures. You can try this method of consumption by scooping the live fish up with a small net and eating them together with a vinegared soy sauce. In your mouth, you'll feel them squirming and jumping about, a rather novel sensation some might say. It may be a bit grotesque for some, but if you have the courage, go ahead and give it a try. I, personally, have never tried it and probably never will, but to each their own as they say.



【Filing City and Prefectural Taxes】

Well, moving on from that, now I've got some information from Fukuoka City about filing taxes. I'm pretty sure that most of you have received your tax forms for Reiwa 4, they were sent by post from Fukuoka City.

The deadline for filing is Tuesday, March 15th. The tax department of the ward office will accept your tax return from 9am to 5pm on weekdays, however the counters there may be crowded so please send your tax returns by mail or by internet, or take them to one of the temporary counters that have been set up.


Those who are required to file Fukuoka City taxes include anyone who has lived in Fukuoka City since the first of January 2022 and had income in 2021. Those who submitted a final tax declaration to the tax authorities or those who only received a salaried income whose company filed year end adjustments  do not need to file a tax return.


When filing, you need your My Number card or a document that shows your number and a driver's license, passport or resident card to show proof of identity.

Documents, such as withholding slips that show your income from 2021 and any documents for deductions made during 2021 are also necessary.

For information on temporary tax counters, what documents are needed and anything else about filing your taxes, please visit your local ward offices website. If there is anything that you don't understand, please use the telephone translation hotline to call the ward offices. The hotline supports 18 languages including English , Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Nepali. The number is 092-753-6113. Again, the number for that hotline is 092-753-6113.

That phone number is for a interpretation center, so after speaking to a representative you will be connected to your local ward office. Make sure you tell them which ward you live in and that you want help with filing taxes. If you go to your ward office in person, you can also use your phone and this service to help you with interpretation, so don't hesitate to use it!


  • Colleen
  • Colleen
  • 誕生日:11月11日
    出身地:USA Detroit, MI
    興味のある事:I'm studying patisserie and languages